Software Engineer – Java/Scala
We are considering applicants in – Dublin
Style of work – Hybrid (Flexible)
Do you want to be involved with delivering products at scale for over 5 million customers with 99.9% of transactions in less than a second?
Our Global Production Distribution platform could be for you! This team works on close to one million sports events per year across 20 brands worldwide. You will join a group of talented engineers, focused on delivering against product and technology strategies for the coming years.
To build our platforms we mostly use Scala & Java as part of our several programming languages, but also rely heavily on cutting-edge streaming technologies, containers, public cloud platforms, CI/CD, extensive automation, agile methodologies and behavioural and acceptance-test-driven-development.
Who are we?
We’re leading betting and gaming into the future by offering some of the most innovative brands in our industry and using the Flutter Edge. For us, fun is at the heart of what we are aiming to achieve, and our people are the key to ensuring our business is the most trusted and responsible brand ensuring our players get the maximum enjoyment; it’s all about bringing entertainment to life for millions of customers in a safe, responsible, and sustainable way.
Our global scale means we can continue to invest to support our strategy and maintain our gold medal positions across local markets.
Our Brands: Flutter operates a range of global brands, including FanDuel, Sky Betting & Gaming, Sportsbet, PokerStars, Paddy Power, Betfair, Sisal, tombola, TVG, Junglee Games and Adjarabet
What challenges can you expect to be involved with?
- The products you'll develop will comply with ambitious uptime targets: less than 50 minutes downtime expected per year
- Our systems process more than 7 million transactions every day (more than all the European stock exchanges combined)
- We deliver high transitional products, serving more than 2.5Bn calls a day
- We have a diverse and up to date technical landscape to explore, leverage and innovate on
- Design and develop trading applications in Scala that meet both functional and non-functional requirements
- You will write high quality, maintainable code using best industry standards
- Your code will be written mostly in either Scala or Java
- Contribute to design/architecture discussions & decisions
- Lead/mentor more junior engineers
- Take technical ownership for complex applications
- Be flexible to changing requirements and priorities, while managing own task list and time
- Be a team player – put the team above the individual and take responsibility for the team’s reputation
- Effectively communicate within the team and showcase the team’s successes within the department
- Troubleshoot and debug real-time development issues
- Contribute to the on-going evolution and continuous improvement of the department
- Support the department’s Production systems
This might be for you if you have:
- Strong commercial experience as a backend software engineer using Scala
- Eager to learn new technologies generally (we’d love to see your Github if you have one!)
- Experience with tools such as Kafka, RabbitMQ or NoSQL (DynamoDB, Cassandra)
A plus if you are familiar with:
- Practical experience with AWS or other public cloud provider
- Test-driven development techniques (e.g. BDD and ATDD)
- Knowledge of using Actor systems (e.g. Akka) for building highly available & scalable systems
- Experience of Event sourcing
- Automated testing and mocking techniques
- Clean coding
- Agile and Lean approaches
Some things that set us apart:
Our passion has helped us take the betting industry by storm. So, we think it’s only fair that our people enjoy a set of excellent rewards for all their hard work:
- Uncapped Holiday Allowance (you read that right!)
- Enhanced Pension Scheme (please ask for your location and we will share!)
- Bonus Scheme
- Life Assurance, Income protection, Private healthcare (with option to add dependent)
- £1,000 annual self-development learning fund & Access to thousands of Udemy courses
- Invest via the Company Share save Scheme, Discount vouchers, Volunteering days.
- ‘Take 20’ work from another location for up to 20 days
- Enhanced Parental Leave Policy – eg. Maternity up to 52 weeks which includes paid time off for appointments.
- On-site Gym, Canteen and Gaming area
At Flutter we’re working to be an inclusive employer, and we encourage people from all backgrounds, ways of thinking and working to apply. Everyone brings different perspectives and experiences; you don't have to meet all the requirements listed to apply for this role.
If you need any adjustments to make this role work for you let us know, and we’ll see how we can accommodate them.
Our Work Experience is the combination of everything that's unique about us: our culture, our core values, our company meetings, our commitment to sustainability, our recognition programs, but most importantly, it's our people. Our employees are self-disciplined, hardworking, curious, trustworthy, humble, and truthful. They make choices according to what is best for the team, they live for opportunities to collaborate and make a difference, and they make us one of the Top Workplaces in the area.
- Building support: Close relationships with all relevant stakeholders which can be used to draw their support towards the Group technology strategy and is effective in promoting a wider understanding of our strategic initiatives.
- Collaborative: Working in partnership with our stakeholders on shared goals. Consistently seeking out and facilitates the sharing of others' ideas and perspectives and positively impacting the achievement of desired outcomes.
- Adaptable: Understanding other perspectives and not hesitant to adapt an approach in order to achieve a successful outcome. Mostly effective in managing change through applying insights from others and lessons learned from others.
- Objective: Able to act with impartiality and remain fair in all situations. Often defines criteria and identifies all relevant perspectives before making a recommendation or decision.
- Strategic thinking: Demonstrates a good understanding of overall Group and Group Technology strategic objectives. Mostly able to apply strategic knowledge to specific initiatives and/or decision making. Can consider and explore scenarios and possibilities to help Divisions succeed.
- Strategic communication: Provides timely and helpful information to others. Able to flex communication style to meet the needs of various audiences (Divisions/locations). Mindful to listen to different perspectives and able to provide constructive feedback.