Scala Engineer (Global Product Distribution Platform)
We’re currently looking for a talented Scala Engineers to join our Global Product Distribution software delivery team. Our Global Production Distribution platform is already class leading in the industry, distributing close to one million sports events per year, to over 20 brands worldwide, but we’re always striving to make great, even greater. The successful candidate will join a group of exceptional engineers, focused on delivering against product and technology strategies for the coming years.
To build our platforms we use Scala as one of several programming languages, but also rely heavily on cutting-edge streaming technologies, containers, public cloud platforms, CI/CD, extensive automation, agile methodologies and behavioural- and acceptance-test-driven-development.
Is this you?
- You focus on solving problems over writing lots of software
- You’re highly motivated and manage your time well
- You build quality into your software upfront by understanding problems from multiple perspectives
- You understand that it’s the value you create and what you contribute that matters, not how long you spend working
- You expect others to show trust in you, but you understand it works both ways
- You have the confidence to ask a question, that you know others want answered
- You’re an innovator
- You’re an empowered, pragmatic decision-maker who balances risk against rewards
- You take pride in and demonstrate ownership for what you deliver
- You have a passion for solving complex problems using technology
- Design and develop trading applications in Scala that meet both functional and non-functional requirements
- Write high quality, maintainable code using best industry standards
- Contribute to design/architecture discussions & decisions
- Lead/mentor more junior engineers
- Take technical ownership for complex applications
- Be flexible to changing requirements and priorities, while managing own task list and time
- Be a team player – put the team above the individual and take responsibility for the team’s reputation
- Effectively communicate within the team and showcase the team’s successes within the department
- Troubleshoot and debug real-time development issues
- Contribute to the on-going evolution and continuous improvement of the department
- Support the department’s Production systems
Experience & Qualifications Required:
- 3+ years of experience as a Scala engineer.
- Experience in Java is a bonus
- Bachelors/Master's degree in computer science, engineering or related discipline
- Experience in event-streaming platforms such as Kafka
- Experience in message broker platforms such as RabbitMQ
- Knowledge of using Actor systems (e.g. Akka) for building highly available & scalable systems
- Experience of Event sourcing
- NoSql technologies (e.g. DynamoDB, Cassandra)
- Practical experience with AWS or other public cloud provider
- Test-driven development techniques (e.g. BDD and ATDD)
- Automated testing and mocking techniques
- Clean coding
- Agile and Lean approaches
What is your challenge?
- We deliver products at scale for over 5 million customers, 99,9% of transactions in less than a second
- The products you'll develop will comply with ambitious uptime targets: less than 50 minutes downtime expected per year
- Our systems process more than 7 million transactions every day (more than all the European stock exchanges combined)
- We deliver high transitional products, serving more than 2.5Bn calls a day
- We have a diverse and up to date technical landscape to explore, leverage and innovate on
Ways of working:
Flexible working is our way of working! We're a diverse workforce, and therefore a 'one size fits all' approach isn't necessarily best. Whatever your personal needs may be, let's have a chat and see how we can accommodate them;
Looking for a remote role? Let's chat – we're open to discussing remote working for all our live jobs.
We are an inclusive employer and we encourage people from all backgrounds. Flexible working is our way of working! We're a diverse workforce and therefore a 'one size fits all' approach isn't necessarily best. Whatever your personal needs may be, let's have a chat and see how we can accommodate them.