Backend Engineer – gbp
As a Backend Engineer, you are part of a Software Development Team, responsible for the full lifecycle of an application. You will be working as part of a multiple team, multiple location environment to further evolve the gbp platform to become a truly world-class sports betting platform to power the Flutter Group to innovate and differentiate the experience we can provide to our customers across our multiple brands.
Reporting to a Delivery Manager in a delivery team formed by 5 Developers and 1 QA, you will be using cutting-edge technologies to deliver amazing value to our customers, while scaling our platform to meet the demands of worldwide markets. You will be required to program well-designed, testable, efficient code to solve business needs, as well as testing and documenting the implemented solutions.
You will have a bias for action and can break down complex problems into steps that drive the scalability, performance and stability of our platform.
We are part of Flutter Entertainment Group – one of the World´s Largest Groups in the bookmaking industry, with an annual revenue of around 5 billion euros.
Its strong and diverse portfolio of market-leading brands and best-in-class products provides excitement and entertainment in a safe and responsible way.
The Code we develop, powering brands such as Paddy Power, Sky Betting & Gaming, Betfair, Sportsbet, FoxBet, FanDuel, and PokerStars, is used by around 14 million people in more than 100 countries, and we are in the API Billionaire Club alongside players such as Google, Facebook and Twitter.
The Global Betting Platform (‘gbp') is Flutter's flagship proprietary sports betting platform and is being used by multiple Brands across the Group to power delivery of new Sports betting features at pace. Today the gbp product enables the generate of 33% of the total Flutter Group Sportsbook online revenue and has around 1.7m active customers across the multiple brands transacting on it.
What you will be doing...
As a team player in an Agile Team, working together to keep delivering at pace, scale and with demanded quality to support our products you will be able to:
- Execute full software development life cycle
- Develop flowcharts, layouts and documentation to support the Product Owner with requirements and the teamwith solutions
- Autonomously write well-designed, testable and efficient code
- Produce specifications and determine operational feasibility
- Integrate software components into a fully functional software system
- Develop unit, component and integrated tests, with the guidance of team's QA
- Document and maintain software functionality
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems
- Deploy applications in a Continuous Integration platform
- Ensure software is updated with latest features / versions in a timely manner
What We're Looking For...
We hope you have...
- Passion for building a great consumer product that our customers will love
- Comfort working with Java (preferable, 8+) or similar OOP Languages
- Experience working with a high concurrency/high transactional/ highly available platform
- Experience of using established design patterns
We´d love to see...
- Familiarity working with Client-server protocols such as SOAP, REST
- Experience working with Kafka and message queueing systems
- Knowledge of Scala, Akka, memcached, Apache Storm, Apache Cassandra, ZooKeeper
- Awareness and experience in usi
Our passion has helped us take the betting industry by storm. So we think it’s only fair that our people enjoy a set of excellent rewards for all their hard work.
- £1,000 annual self-development / learning fund
- Twice-yearly bonus
- Unlimited Holiday (you read that right)
- Flexible ways of working
- Access to thousands of Udemy courses
- Invest via the Company Sharesave Scheme
- Life insurance
- Private healthcare