Senior Database Engineer – gbp Evolution
Flutter is a FTSE 50 global leader in sports betting and gaming with annual revenues of over £4bn. Its strong and diverse portfolio of market-leading brands and best-in-class products provides its 13 million customers excitement and entertainment in a safe and responsible way. Flutter brands include Paddy Power, Sky Betting & Gaming, Betfair, Sportsbet, FoxBet, FanDuel, and PokerStars
As a Senior Database Engineer, you are part of a Software Development Team and responsible for driving the development of Flutter’s database infrastructure for our product development. You will be working as part of a multiple team, multiple location environment to further evolve the gbp platform to become a truly world-class sports betting platform to power the Flutter Group to innovate and differentiate the experience we can provide to our customers across our multiple brands.
Reporting to a Delivery Manager in an enabling team formed of 4 engineers, you will be using innovative technologies to deliver amazing value to our customers, while scaling our platform to meet the demands of worldwide markets. You will be required to program well-designed, testable, efficient code to solve business needs, as well as testing and documenting the implemented solutions.
Our Senior Database Engineers are trusted to guide a team of their own from a technical point of view. As experts in their area, they are the go-to people for big ideas and problem-solving.
What you will be doing...
As a team player in an Agile Team, working together to keep delivering at pace, scale and with demanded quality to support our products you will be able to:
- Work with divisional architects to design effective data solutions;
- Plan and own strategy for large-scale database migrations;
- Lead the engineering team on implementing solutions;
- Understand complex business flows and how they map to underlying data stores;
- Propose milestones and roadmap plans to enable timely delivery;
- Ensure proper data governance and security policies are adhered to during design and implementation;
- Execute, optimize and coach on the software development life cycle;
- Mentor and develop other members of your team;
- Be able to leverage the above expertise to support other teams in your function so that we deliver the best product to our customers.
What we’re looking for…
We’re looking for an experienced, pragmatic and collaborative Senior Database Engineer to join our team on the mission to build the best online sports betting product in the world.
Expertise we hope you have
- Passion for building a great consumer product that our customers will love;
- Be an expert in your primary programming language, and be competent in others;
- Be an expert in your domain (business and tech) who can guide your team on the best approach for large pieces of work which span multiple components and teams;
- Expertise with multiple database management systems;
- Experience with RDBMS and NoSQL databases;
- Experience working with a high concurrency/transactional/available platform;
- Ability to develop, construct and maintain data assets;
- Ability to understand the dependencies between components and how they combine to deliver service to the consumer and business;
- Ability to easily recognize system deficiencies and implement effective solutions
- Expertise using established design patterns.
Expertise we’d love to see
- Proven track record of working with Java (preferable, 8+) or similar OOP languages;
- Familiarity working with Client-server protocols such as SOAP, REST;
- Experience working with Kafka and message queueing systems;
- Knowledge of memcached, Apache Storm, Apache Cassandra;
- Experience working with cloud technologies;
- Awareness and experience in using agile methodologies.
Competencies we hope you have
- You can establish close relationships with members of the development community inside and outside of your own delivery team, underpinned by trust, integrity and respect;
- You are objective, impartial, and unbiased, ensuring equal treatment for all and that decisions taken are based on objective criteria;
- You value opposing perspectives on an issue and can adapt your approach to achieve a successful outcome;
- You can identify, select, and develop top talent, including and not shying away from talent that goes beyond your own capabilities;
- You work towards creating an organisation that is an attractive place to work.
Our passion has helped us take the betting industry by storm. So we think it’s only fair that our people enjoy a set of excellent rewards for all their hard work.
- £1,000 annual self-development / learning fund
- Bonus is paid annually
- Unlimited Holiday (you read that right)
- Flexible ways of working
- Access to thousands of Udemy courses
- Invest via the Company Sharesave Scheme
- Life insurance
- Private healthcare